In cataract, there is clouding of the natural lens. It causes vision loss in people above the age of 40 years. It is the most common cause of vision loss all over the world. Men and women equally suffer from this problem. Other causes of vision loss such as macular degeneration and glaucoma are less common. Cataract may start developing at an age of 40 years. It is important that people should go for a regular eye check up to an eye specialist for early diagnosis. Early diagnosis can help to prevent further complications. There are different types of cataract. Two most common types of cataracts are:
Congenital cataract and Age related cataract
Congenital cataract: It is present at birth and may develop soon after birth.
Age related cataract: It is a common problem and it mainly occurs with advancing age. It occurs due to degeneration of the lens. It appears later in life and is the most common form of eye disorder.
Symptoms of cataracts
Cataract may start as little effect on vision. A person may complain of blurred vision as if seeing through a cloudy piece of glass. Other important symptoms of cataract are:
- It causes more glares at night. A person may feel difficulty in driving a vehicle at night due to increased glare of light.
- There is fading of colors and they do not appear as bright as before
- Halos may appear before the eyes due to clouding of the lens
- There is difficulty in reading. A person may feel more strain on eyes even while reading during the daytime.
Signs of cataracts
When a doctor examines a person with cataract, he observes the condition of the lens. It appears white with a misty appearance on it. In some cases, it appears black and dark. Any other sign is not available for determination of cataract. An eye specialist can do a vision test to determine the remaining vision of a person.
Causes of cataracts
Important risk factors associated with development of cataract are discussed below. Any particular reason for clouding of the lens is not present but these risk factors are associated with increased chances of developing cataract:
- People suffering from type 2 diabetes and hypertension are more prone to suffer from cataract at an early age.
- Increased exposure to ultraviolet light also increases the risk of developing cataract
- Obesity is also a risk factor for developing cataract
- Alcohol addiction and smoking also increases the risk of developing cataract at an early age
- People who use corticosteroids for a prolonged period of time may develop cataract at an early age
- Any eye injury or inflammation to the eye can produce cataract
- Family history of cataract is another factor for increased risk of cataract
Supplements of Cataracts
There are excellent supplements of cataracts. These natural supplements prevent cataract naturally. All the herbs in the cataract package are safe and effective. The natural supplements of cataracts provide nutrition to the eyes and prevent clouding of lens. These supplements may be taken regularly to prevent cataracts. Important herbs in the package are:
Amalaki Rasayana: It is an excellent natural herb for preventing cataract. It may be used regularly to supply proper nutrition to the eyes. It prevents cataract by maintaining proper blood supply to the eyes. It gives nourishment to the eye cells. It helps to maintain proper vision.
Saptamrit Lauh: This is a natural herb that prevents the symptoms of cataracts. It may be taken every day for normal functioning of the eyes. It is a natural supplement for eye problems and can be taken regularly to get rid of cataract symptoms.
Mukta Shukti Bhasm: This herb is believed to support the normal vision. It provides nourishment to the eyes and helps to get rid of cataract symptoms. It improves vision slowly and can be taken on a regular basis to get rid of cataract symptoms.
Maha Triphala Ghrit: This is an excellent natural supplement that helps to prevent the symptoms of cataract. It may be taken regularly to provide nourishment to the lens and preventing cataract at an early age.
Drishti eye drops: It is a natural herb for eye problems. It provides nutrition to the eyes and help to get rid of cataract. It is a safe herb and can be used regularly. It improves vision and prevents the symptoms of cataract naturally.
Dosage and mode of administration
Mix medicine number 1, 2 and 3 and take one teaspoon two times in a day before breakfast and dinner with water or honey.
Take one teaspoon of medicine no.4 empty stomach in the morning and evening with water.
Put one drop in each eye, two times in a day of medicine no. 5. It is only for external use.
Prevention of Cataract
There are many useful natural products that can be taken to prevent cataract.
- Green leafy vegetables and fruits provide vitamins and minerals to the eyes and help to prevent the symptoms of cataract
- Carrot is believed to be a wonderful vegetable for preventing cataract. Carrots are rich in carotenoids that help to provide nutrition to the eye lens and help to prevent cataract.
- Foods rich in anti-oxidants also help to reduce cataract risk. Foods rich in vitamin C such as amla, lemon, and orange are also good for preventing cataract.
- Omega-3 fatty acids also reduce the risk of cataract. Mainly fish provides omega-3 fatty acids; therefore people who are prone to suffer from cataracts should eat fish that provides omega-3 fatty acids.
- Reduce intake of alcohol and other addictive substances such as tobacco to reduce the risk of cataract.
- One should avoid taking corticosteroids for preventing cataracts. One should not take corticosteroids on a regular basis.